Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Concert Review: Mohegan Sun Receives The Royal Treatment From Sting

Sting is not one to follow the normal procedure for success. He dismantled his band The Police at the height of their success and then reunited with them 20 years later. He then left the mainstream of pop music to make an album of 18th century classical music and now he is touring with a 35-piece orchestra. "The largest band I've ever had" as Sting remarked during his appearance at the Mohegan Sun arena Tuesday Night.

As members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra took their seats and began tuning-up, conductor Steven Mercurio took center stage to begin an evening of classics written by Sting. Many of Sting's songs played perfectly to the large ensemble, especially the ballads, "When We Dance," "Shape Of My Heart," and "Fields Of Gold." Sting was very talkative, explaining the meanings of songs like how "Russians" was about the children of the Cold War and "Tomorrow We'll See" about a transvestite. The different orchestra arrangements for The Police songs meshed well with "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic," but "Roxanne" seemed to lose its edge and power and become lifeless. He finished the first set with an energetic version of the early Police classic "Next To You."

After a twenty minute break, Sting returned to the stage performing the opening song "A Thousand Years" from his "Mercury Falling" album. The second set was filled with more obscure songs released on soundtracks and as B-sides. "The End Of The Game" and "All Would Envy" both contained a bit of Spanish flair, while "You Will Be My Ain True Love" brought a Civil War atmosphere to its sound. But Sting brought the audience to life with The Police hits "King Of Pain" and "Every Breath You Take" leaving the masses on their feet wanting more.

The encore began with the Moroccan flavored "Desert Rose" and continuing with the jazz-fueled "She's Too Good For Me." Sting finished the evening with the gentle ballad "Fragile," dedicating to the victims of the Gulf Coast. As his band exited the stage, Sting sang the first verse of "I Was Brought To My Senses" acapella to an audience that surrendered their senses to Sting.

Setlist:
If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
Englishman In New York
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Roxanne
Straight To My Heart
When We Dance
Russians
I Hung My Head
Shape Of My Heart
Why Should I Cry For You
Whenever I Say Your Name
Fields Of Gold
Next To You
- intermission -
A Thousand Years
Tomorrow We'll See
Moon Over Bourdon Street
The End Of The Game
You Will Be My Ain True Love
All Would Envy
Mad About You
King Of Pain
Every Breath You Take
- encore -
Desert Rose
She's Too Good For Me
Fragile
I Was Brought To My Senses (1st verse acapella)

1 comment:

Radio Ads said...

I was fond of listening music but now days I have left listening music, since music is not permitted in Islam.