Sunday, July 11, 2010

Concert Review: Country Legend Ronnie Milsap Visits Connecticut

Country artist Ronnie Milsap has had more number one singles (40) than Elvis Presley (33) and more Grammy Awards (6) than Garth Brooks (2). His legendary status is almost forgotten in the world of country music today, but his appearance Saturday night at the Wolf Den at Mohegan Sun reminded those in attendance how great of a performer Ronnie Milsap is and always was.

Born partially blind, Ronnie Milsap overcame many obstacles on his way to success as the evening became a night of appreciation for his music. A medley of some of his number one singles reminded fans of how good a singer he is. The combination of his vocals and piano on “(I’d Be) A Legend In My Time” were stellar. His ballad “Lost In The Fifties” received multiple applauses with the help of his talented backing band. Their vocals skills were on display performing a trio of doo-wop songs (Come Go With Me, Little Bitty Pretty One, Young Blood). Ronnie performed only one song from his recently released award winning gospel album, “Then Sings My Soul,” but had the place rockin’ with “Button Off My Shirt.”

Ronnie joked with the audience about his handicap as well as possibly performing a Jimi Hendrix tune on piano. One of the stories he told was about a recording session with Elvis Presley for the song “Kentucky Rain” that gave him the idea for one of his biggest hits “Smoky Mountain Rain.” The song recently was chosen as the Tennessee state song. As Ronnie mostly performed at his piano, he did feel his way to the keyboards for the songs, “Any Day Now” and “Stranger In My House.” His finale of “America The Beautiful” brought fans to their feet, singing along.

As the 75 minute performance seemed to flash by in a heartbeat, it was enough to remind the standing room attendance how important his music is to our lives.

Don’t You Know How Much I Love You
Any Day Now
What A Difference You Made In My Life (Medley)
- I Wouldn’t Have Missed It For The World
- It Was Almost Like A Song
- (I’m A) Stand By My Woman Man
- Pure Love
- There’s No Getting Over Me
A Woman In Love
Legend In My Time
Walkin’ After Midnight (Rhonda Hampton vocals)
Up To Zion
Lost In The Fifties Tonight (In The Still Of The Night)
Come Go With Me
Little Bitty Pretty One
Young Blood
Button Off My Shirt
Let’s Take The Long Way Around The World
Daydreams About Night Things
Smoky Mountain Rain
Stranger In My House
America The Beautiful

1 comment:

music legends said...

Ronnie Milsap great musicians